SIN - Product Support Engineer (Admiralty), A2(L)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)Job Subcategory
MOD (Ministry of Defence)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
- UKHO operates a regional office, out of the British High Commission (BHC) in Singapore. It is an operating arm of the UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO), an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence. The UKHO has been charting the world’s oceans for more than 200 years. The primary aim of the organisation is providing navigational products and services for the Royal Navy and merchant mariners to save and protect lives at sea and the UKHO holds a strong market position through effective management of their worldwide distribution network of chart agents.
The UKHO produces a worldwide series of some 3,500 paper nautical charts, 200 publications under the ADMIRALTY brand and Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs). The ADMIRALTY portfolio is sold globally and used by nearly 70% of international shipping. In a complex regulatory environment, with safety critical products, competition never previously faced and a market of over 50,000 vessels working through a worldwide network of over 100 independent distributors the Admiralty branded network faces a real challenge in leading the development of a new digital business.
The Product Support Engineer will be providing technical support, technical documentations and product training for customers and stakeholders. Job holder need to support sales team on daily tasks and technical advice on project bids.
Job holder may be required to go on board vessels for product training and installation. Job holder will be required to communicate with our china customers in mandarin.
Although office based the job holder may be required to travel occasionally in the region to manage the diverse range of distributors and customers. Prefer to have excellent communication skills and be able to think on their feet and respond rapidly to the changing market conditions. Attendance at conferences, trade fairs and exhibitions may be required.
We are currently looking to recruit Product Support Engineer to join our team, reporting direct to the Technical Manager in Singapore.Technical Role
Contacts and Communications
- The post holder must have extensive technical knowledge across a wide range of subjects including data protection, hardware, software, communication and associated data standards, type approval, UKHO products and services and the use of digital equipment at sea (including regulatory developments).
- The post holder will act as technical consultant to the sales team with distributors and customers, assisting in Sales presentations from a technical point of view.
- The post holder will provide training to distributors, customers and application developers in the technical aspects of UKHO’s digital products.
- The post holder will manage the ADMIRALTY product installation and training on board vessels.
- The post holder will support on UKHO’s digital products cases raised by customers.
- The post holder will provide technical documentation to support UKHO’s digital products.
- The post holder will support Sales Support on daily tasks and updating the account information via CRM
- The post holder’s input will be critical to an increasing number of initiatives, time management and prioritisation will be essential. Balancing support with input into new products and services will be critical.
- The post holder will need to ensure they remain abreast of the new products and services offered by UKHO and with the developments amongst OEMs, their marketplace and the impact of those developments on UKHO products and services.
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- The post holder will regularly communicate complex technical issues to all levels within shipping companies and distributors.
- The post holder will have heavy interaction with the whole of Customer division but in particular Product Management, SIAT, Sales and Channel Teams for the delivery of Customer feedback and resolving customer cases.
- Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 2 years’ experience of working in a technical support role
- Knowledge of ADMIRALTY products and services will be preferred (Training will be given)
- CRM experience preferred
- Continuous Improvement experience
- Ability to analyse information and make considered, timely decisions
- The ability to grasp complex issues quickly, display sound judgement and multi-task, prioritising as appropriate
- Excellent team player
- Excellent time management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral will be combined with tact and political astuteness
- Good IT literacy and proven use of, SAP and other MS packages
- Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- A degree/diploma in Maritime Studies/Information Technology (IT)
- Experience and understanding of the merchant marine sector including defence preferred
- Knowledge about ECDIS, ENCs and IMO & IHO standards preferred
- Preferably able to communicate in Mandarin#
- Fresh Graduate is welcome to apply
Normal working hours are 37.5 per week: 8.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday. There will be a requirement for occasional and limited out of hours work around major events and visits.
BHC Singapore supports and promotes flexible working as a crucial part of our inclusive offering. This particular role allows for flexibility in start and end times, working compressed hours, working remotely on one or a couple of days in a week, and the possibility of a job share arrangement, subject to agreement with management.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. This is a locally engaged position subject to local laws and terms. Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks.
Should the successful candidate require a permit to work in Singapore, the British High Commission will apply and sponsor the appropriate pass on their behalf.
BHC Singapore offers time and financial support for the successful candidate to take advantage of professional learning and development opportunities inside and outside of the organisation.
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (Singapore Time) on 19 June 2018.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase of the selection process. To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.