- Join a firm that is working to protect and rehabilitate the natural landscape
- Be a part of a high-growth startup
Our client is a recently launched environmental enterprise built with the aim to protect and rehabilitate important natural landscapes around the world through a commercially viable business model.
As the Chief Legal Counsel, you will work directly with the CFO on matters related to legal structuring, regulatory compliance and potential business risk. You will be a part of the Executive Committee and will assist in reviewing, proposing and voting on issues related to new business, internal process, strategy and human resources.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading all contract negotiations with clients and conservation projects with the support of the CFO and CEO.
- Review, critique and improve all deliverables developed by external legal counsel as well as drafting original legal documents as required
- Leading the innovations and design for new environmental contracts, some of which may have no historical legal precedent.
- Establish and manage core template legal documents which will serve as the basis for company agreements.
- Drive client satisfaction and experience through legal services.
- Establish and implement standard operating procedures for contract compliance monitoring and management.
- Follow developments of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Paris Accords, Environmental and land-rights law in foreign countries, starting with Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil.
- Anticipate and proactively develop a strategy to address changes in regulatory requirements and public policy
- Understand and manage business and compliance risk.
- Identify and remediate exposure to brand and reputation risk.
- You possess a degree in Law, Corporate Law or Contract Law (preferably JD, LLM or LLB or equivalent) with significant experience.
- You have prior legal experience in large corporate settings, preferably in the commodities sector, multi-national corporations and/or retail sector where supply-chain issues are a central business concern.
- You are excellent at providing legal guidance with respect to litigation will be considered as a distinct advantage in consideration.
- You enjoy the challenge of building a new business an are solve problems based on new and not fully understood inter-disciplinary business models.
- You have excellent communication skills and work well in a multicultural environment